This recipe is a solid chewy chocolate chip recipe and you can change it up however you like. This time I added salt and Halloween-themed chocolate chips. It's the little things.
Begin by gathering all your ingredients.
Set aside the chocolate chips for now and combine the wet and dry ingredients. (Sugars count as wet ingredients. Weird but true.)
Also, I didn't have brown sugar and it is an important factor in making a cookie chewy but I also didn't want to run to the store. I happened to have granulated sugar and molasses however, and that's all you need to make brown sugar! I whizzed some sugar with a drizzle of molasses and kept adding molasses till it was closer to dark brown sugar. Store in an airtight container and feel pinterest AF.
Funny how baking cookies brings certain someone's out of the woodwork.
That is a spider on my spatula.
Very on trend.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until a dough forms.
Once the dough has formed, stir in the chocolate chips and taste to see if additional salt is needed/desired.
Scoop the dough out onto a baking sheet and bake till golden brown on the edges but slightly underdone in the center.
They should cool on the baking sheet once out of the oven to finish cooking gently and achieve a chewy consistency.
I like to use a mini ice cream scoop to get consistent sized cookies but two spoons work fine, just make sure they are all about the same size.
Once the cookies come out of the oven, keep them on the baking sheet until they have cooled.
If you like, sprinkle some more salt on top when they come out of the oven.
Enjoy with a glass of milk!
2 cups + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt + more for garnish
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup halloween chocolate chips (I got mine from Target, they're by Nestle)
1 1/2 sticks melted butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 whole egg + 1 egg yolk
plash of vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Set aside the halloween chocolate chips. Combine the rest of the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl combine all the wet ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir till combined.
- Add the halloween chocolate chips and stir till evenly distributed.
- Scoop the dough on a baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown around the edges and slightly underdone in the center.
- Allow cookies to cool completely on the baking sheet. This step is important to achieve chewiness.
- You will remove the cookies from the oven while they are still slightly underdone, the residual time on the hot cookie sheets cooks them gently to the perfect state of chewiness.
- Sprinkle on a bit more flaky/coarse salt while the cookies are still hot.